Monday, March 30, 2015

The Legislative Branch, Day 4 - Class Recap


A picture that I took on the 124th floor of the Burj Khalifa (the tallest building in the world) in Dubai, United Arab Emirates during Spring Break. I used my dad;s camera (a Canon EOS 5D Mark II, which is super nice) and a 15mm fisheye lens to make it look like the world was a city. Fun effect!

Dear class,

Welcome back from Spring Break! I hope you enjoyed the week off from school. Now there is plenty of work for all of us to get back to! Here's what we did today in class:

Learning Targets Addressed:
Knowledge LT 1: I can demonstrate an understanding of the interplay between citizens and their governments.
Knowledge LT 5: I can demonstrate an understanding of the principles, structures, and functions of different levels of U.S. government.

Soundtrack: "Jai Ho" by A.R. Rahman. Selected for today because I was in India over Spring Break, and this song is from Slumdog Millionaire, which is a movie set in India.

AGENDA 3/30/15:
News Brief
Spring Break
Bill Simulation
Washington's Gridlock

Homework: Read the blog. Next news brief: Dorian.

News Brief: I had the next brief today, because it was a long Spring Break. Here's the article that I chose to talk about: NYTimes.com - Iran Backs Away From Key Detail in Nuclear Deal. This week is the latest deadline for a diplomatic agreement between Iran and some major powers in the world - especially the United States, when it comes to Iran's nuclear program. Iran says that it is for peaceful energy purposes, while many in the world believe they are trying to make a nuclear bomb. In any case, these are very high stakes negotiations!

Dorian was assigned the next news brief.

Spring Break: I asked the class if there was anything interesting or noteworthy that happened over Spring Break. It is always nice to check in with everyone about what you are up to outside our classroom! As part of this, I showed a few photos from my trip to Dubai, India, and Nepal. It was a lot of travel and I am still gaining my feet back! Still, I love exploring the world and teaching about it, too!

Bill Simulation: This took the rest of class to do, especially as we combined with Ms. Nelson's class again. Our class simulated the House of Representatives. I broke the class up into two different committees, then two different sub-committees within those committees. We debated various different proposals in the sub-committees, which then put forth the best idea to the committees, which then selected one for debate with the other half of class.

The two proposals that we took upstairs were about school dress codes and school starting times. It ended up that the dress code was passed, but vetoed by Ms. Nelson, then the Congress overrode the veto. We also heard various proposals from Ms. Nelson's class, which acted as the Senate. Great job by Chris for being Speaker of the House! :-)

That was it for today. Thanks for your participation! Welcome back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)